By Pamela K. Gilbert
- Places key authors and novels of their cultural and old context
- Includes reviews of significant subject matters comparable to race, gender, melodrama, theatre, poetry, realism in fiction, and connections to different paintings forms
- Contributions from best foreign students strategy a big literary style from a number of perspectives
- Offers either a pre and post-history of the style to situate it within the better culture of Victorian publishing and literature
- Incorporates insurance of conventional study and state-of-the-art modern scholarship
Read or Download A Companion to Sensation Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Similar literary criticism & theory books
This primary comparative examine of writers who fled from either the Nazi and Communist dictatorships in East-Central Europe contains interpretations of person trajectories, literary works, and exile literary cultures. A ancient and theoretical advent offers an outline of the occasions and stories exile cultures from Paris, London, and manhattan to Moscow, Toronto, and Buenos Aires.
Hard monolithic pictures of the recent lady as white, well-educated, and politically innovative, this research makes a speciality of vital local, ethnic, and sociopolitical variations within the use of the recent lady trope on the flip of the 20 th century. utilizing Charles Dana Gibson's "Gibson ladies" as some extent of departure, Martha H.
This e-book analyzes Holocaust poetry, warfare poetry, working-class poetry, and 11th of September poetry as varieties of testimony. Rowland argues that testamentary poetry calls for a distinct method of conventional methods of facing poems a result of strain of the metatext (the unique, anxious events), the poems’ calls for for the hyper-attentiveness of the reader, and a paradox of id that frequently attracts the reader in the direction of deciding on with the poet’s event, yet then reminds them of its sublimity.
First released in 1972, this is often the 1st distinct examine of the milieu of the eighteenth-century literary hack and its value in Augustan literature. even supposing the trendy time period ‘Grub road’ has declined into imprecise metaphor, for the Augustan satirists it embodied not just a precise position yet an emphatic way of life.
- Rewriting the Victorians: Theory, History, and the Politics of Gender: Volume 12 (Routledge Library Editions: Women, Feminism and Literature)
- Ugly Feelings
- The Dividing Line between Private and Public Values in Modern Literature: E. M. Forster, "Howards End" - George Orwell, "Nineteen-Eighty Four"
- Exploring the Limits of the Human through Science Fiction (American Literature Readings in the 21st Century)
- Writing Australian Unsettlement: Modes of Poetic Invention 1796-1945 (Modern and Contemporary Poetry and Poetics)
Additional info for A Companion to Sensation Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Sensation Fiction (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Pamela K. Gilbert